2 qts (1 liter) water
0.5 qts (0.5 liters) sauerkraut juice
1 lb. (500g) tomatoes
1 small carrot
1 small parsley root
1 lb. (500g) ground beef
1 Tbls. Rice
1 chopped onion fried in 1/2 Tbls. lard
1. Set to boil, finely chopped onion, carrot, and parsley root together with the beef bones.
2. Let boil well, then add the separately boiled borsh, salt, chopped greens and the separately boiled and strained tomatoes.
3. Let boil for a few minutes and then add the meatballs prepared by mixing the ground meat with the salt, pepper, egg, fried onion, and rice.
4. Let the meatballs boil.
5. You may serve with a Tablespoon of sour cream in each bowl.
3 tablespoons butter
3 leeks, thinly sliced*
1 medium or large onion, chopped
6 - 8 russet potatoes, thinly sliced**
3 1/2 cups chicken broth (or enough to barely cover potatoes)
1 cup heavy cream
salt to taste
fresh ground black pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat then add onions and leeks. Cook, stirring, until onions are limp and just slightly
2. Add sliced potatoes to saucepan then pour in enough chicken broth to just barely cover the potatoes. Continue cooking over medium heat until potatoes are tender. Using a potato masher, mash and stir potatoes until desired consistency is reached. As you mash the potatoes and the soup thickens, turn down heat and stir frequently with a large spoon to prevent scorching on the bottom.
3. Add one cup of heavy cream (or more if you desire) and salt and black pepper to taste. Cook 15 minutes more over low heat, stirring frequently, then remove from heat and serve.
Source: Pinch My Salt
Copyright © 2008, 2013 Returned Peace Corps Volunteers International Calendar all rights reserved. Powered by SilwikDesign.com